First meetup this year. The guest speaker is Malcolm Tredinnick, one of the core developers of Django Web framework. He shared his experiences on the framework and how to contribute to the project. These are some notes of the talk.
On contributing to the Django project or how you can help.
- Check out the project from github, run the unit test, and submit bug report. According to him, almost 50% of Django codecase are unit testing code.
- Alternatively, you can start helping by searching through the bug reports for new and easy pickings tickets. Besides, you can help by verifying new ticket.
- Subscribe to the mailing list, read and understand the discussion, become a "silent expert". Also, try to answer questions in the mailing list or stackoverflow.
On learning Python.
- Stick to Python 3.3 (latest version), especially you're a beginner.
- Use the Six  module to make sure Python code run fine in both 2.x and 3.x.
That's all I can remember and jot down.